I read with interest and article on my news feed titled “12 ways good drivers lose their licenses” from Insutrance.com written by Karen Aho. Here are the 12ways according to her:
- Unpaid parking tickets
- Borrowing the wrong car (tickets for vehicle violations are issued to whoever is driving the car at the time.)
- Possessing alcohol as a minor
- Driving without insurance
- Bounced or bad checks
- Litter, overdue library books and more
- Overdue student loans (Iowa and Montana, can suspend a person’s driver’s license for unpaid college loans)
- Failure to pay child support (in Nebraska, people who don’t make their alimony payments can also lose their license.)
- Marijuana possession or drug offenses that occur off the road
- Prostitution, public intoxication and more
- Failure to appear in court
- Fuel theft, piracy and a lot more (misuse of a handicap space; immigration or visa expiration; graffiti; defacing signs; flying while intoxicated.)
As usual in these type of lists, other ways to lose your driving privileges are omitted. Here are an additional ten ways to lose your driver’s license:
- Shooting at the police. In spite of the Second Amendment, in most states, shooting at the police is grounds to lose your license.
- Stealing a police vehicle. While this may be humorous, it is frowned upon by law enforcement. Don’t do it.
- Running over people in a crosswalk. For us older folks who grew up with games like Frogger, the classic video arcade game, it’s hard to realize there are no points for running down a pedestrian in a crosswalk.
- Trying to jump the gap on a draw bridge. I know it’s a challenge and to succeed would be tremendous, but the authorities could take your license if you do. If you fail, no one cares.
- Stopping in the middle of the road to pick up road kill. If might be overlooked if you share.
- Trying to see how far you can drive before running off the road with your eyes closed. I know we have all tried this, but law enforcement takes a dim view of this game.
- Trimming your toe nails while driving. It’s best to have a passenger trim your nails while driving. Don’t attempt this by yourself.
- Pretending to be a cop and pulling people over. This goes hand-in-hand with number 2 above.
- Making breakfast while you drive. Better to just go to a burger joint.
- Shooting squirrels from your car. I know, you have a right to have a weapon, but actually using it may be illegal. This may vary by state.
I’m sure you can think of other ways to lose your driving license. Tell me about them.
For e-books by me, visit http://smashwords.com/profile/view/monteranderson.
Follow me on Twitter at http://twitter.com/monteranderson